Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2016

On Strength



I thank my dad 
For strength of character 
My mum 
For the written word 
To them both for tenacity 
Though neither for warmth  
And from some of the things 
As a child, seen and heard 
I sometimes wonder 
Why they stayed together 
And I would never aspire  
To an unequal love 
Held together by children 
And faith in above 
But despite years of "existence" 
No pleasure, or gain 
The dynamics shifted  
And when push came to shove 
When my father so strong 
Let life's pressures get in 
Fell to panic, depression  
Fear of death, light wore thin 
My mother,  
strong from her own quiet pain  
Brow beaten and trodden down 
Rose up, drew him close,  
Helped him tackle his fears 
Helped him realise that strength 
Is not tough, harsh, verbose 
His eyes were opened 
And though late on in years 
They at last grew together  
My father much softer 
My mother much loved

No comments:

Post a Comment