Pages

Monday 18 September 2017

What use are you now?

What use are you now?
Now you are gone.
You promised forever,
my only one.
You promised you’d stay
through sickness and health,
but the sickness crept up
and with quiet and stealth,
it took you away.

First just in mind
as you failed to recall
our memories, the dates
and then nothing at all.
Then came the failing
of your body once strong,
lying broken and crumbled
and after not very long,
it took you away.

So what use are you now
as I mourn and I grieve,
that wasn’t part of the deal,
you said you’d not leave.
I wonder if maybe
we should never have met,
then my heart wouldn’t ache
with no love to forget, when
it took you away -

but for the years that we spent,
for the laughter we shared,
for the children we raised,
for the way that you cared,
for the chance to have known you,
for our souls that entwined,
you will always, forever
still be part of mine,
it won’t take you.







No comments:

Post a Comment